História de Charleston, Carolina do Sul

História de Charleston, Carolina do Sul



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Charleston, a sede do condado de Charleston, é a segunda maior área metropolitana da Carolina do Sul. Encontra-se principalmente entre os rios Ashleyand Cooper. O porto de Charleston deu à cidade um papel importante na história naval dos Estados Unidos e, particularmente, na Guerra Civil. Quando Carlos II foi restaurado ao trono da Inglaterra, ele foi incapaz de recompensar em dinheiro a todos a quem devia . Em 1663, ele concedeu aos ex-generais, que ficaram conhecidos como Lords Proprietors, o título para Carolina. A Constituição Fundamental da Carolina, escrita em 1669 pelo filósofo John Locke e modelada após sua "Carta sobre a tolerância", forneceu a base para o início do governo de Carolina. Em 1670, colonos chegaram ao rio Ashley e estabeleceram um assentamento em sua margem oeste, que chamaram de Charles Town em homenagem a Charles II. No ano seguinte, para fornecer uma melhor defesa, eles se transferiram para o outro lado do rio e reconstruíram na ponta da península entre os rios Ashley e Cooper. A Constituição Fundamental proporcionou um clima de tolerância que afetou muito o desenvolvimento inicial de Charles Town e levou à imigração por grupos tão diversos como os huguenotes franceses e os judeus sefarditas. Em 1718, Barba Negra navegou no porto de Charles Town com quatro navios e fez reféns para resgate. A Coroa britânica queria maior controle sobre a colônia e, em 1720, reorganizou-a como uma Colônia da Coroa. Em 1747, a cidade fez uma barganha com os índios Choctaw, trocando direitos de comércio por um acordo entre os Choctaw para atacar os franceses. A Charleston Library Society foi organizada em 1749. Organizou o Charleston Museum em 1773, o mais antigo museu desse tipo na América . O College of Charleston deu suas primeiras aulas em 1770, tornando-o o colégio municipal mais antigo da América. Charles Town desempenhou um papel importante durante a Revolução Americana. Um Charlestonian, Henry Middleton, foi escolhido presidente do ^ FirstContinental Congress em 1774. Sua plantação, Middleton Place ^, foi o lar de mais três gerações de políticos proeminentes da Carolina do Sul e agora é um marco histórico nacional cuidadosamente preservado. A capital do estado foi transferida para Columbia em 1786. A Sociedade Reformadora de Israelitas foi fundada em 1824, tornando Charleston o local de nascimento do ramo Reformador do Judaísmo na América. Mais tarde, tornou-se a Universidade Médica da Carolina do Sul. O Citadel, o colégio militar apoiado pelo estado da Carolina do Sul, foi inaugurado em 1842. O Hospital Roper, o primeiro hospital comunitário nas Carolinas, foi fundado em 1850. A reação à eleição de Abraham Lincoln em novembro de 1860 não demorou muito. Em 20 de dezembro, uma reunião da convenção em Charleston declarou que a Carolina do Sul era uma comunidade independente, o primeiro ato de secessão de qualquer estado. O próprio Hunley afundou ao retornar ao porto. A guerra em Charleston terminou oficialmente em 14 de abril de 1865, quando a bandeira da União foi hasteada no Fort Sumter no quarto aniversário de sua rendição. Embora Charleston esteja no Extremo Sul e as leis de Jim Crow tenham sido postas em prática após a Reconstrução, a cidade adotou uma abordagem moderada pelos padrões locais. Os negros puderam participar da política de Charleston e votar livremente desde a Segunda Guerra Mundial. Um juiz de Charleston, J. Watis Waring, discordou de uma decisão do Tribunal do Distrito Federal que defendia a doutrina "separados, mas iguais" em Briggs v. Elliott em 1951. Sua opinião divergente foi citada pela Suprema Corte dos Estados Unidos quando decidiu em Brown v. Conselho de Educação em 1954. Estabelecido como Carolina Art Association em 1858, o Gibbes Museum of Art abriu suas portas ao público em 1905. ^ Charleston SouthernUniversity ^, fundada em 1964, é associada à South Carolina Baptist Convention.


Se você estiver caminhando ao longo da High Battery em Downtown Charleston em direção ao final da península, olhe para a esquerda. Lá, na boca do porto de Charleston, você verá o farol preto e branco da Ilha de Sullivan.

Conhecido pelos habitantes locais como Charleston Light, o Sullivan’s Island Lighthouse foi construído no início dos anos 1960 para substituir a luz da Ilha Morris, que corria o risco de ser destruída pela erosão e, desde então, foi restaurada. O Charleston Light ainda é um farol em funcionamento, continuando a servir como um farol para receber os navios no porto de Charleston.


História de Charleston: uma cultura duradoura

A cidade de Charleston surgiu quando foi nomeada em homenagem ao rei Carlos II da Inglaterra por colonos ingleses que chegaram durante a primavera de 1670. Esta colônia recém-estabelecida tinha muitos inimigos a enfrentar - espanhóis, franceses, nativos americanos e até piratas. Após a Revolução Americana em 1783, o nome da cidade passou a ser Charleston, que é mantido até hoje.

O que esperar em Charleston, SC

Há muitas coisas acontecendo em Charleston, SC. Adequando-se ao ranking de melhor cidade dos EUA, número 1, legado pela revista Travel + Leisure em 2019, há uma série de atrações turísticas populares que você deve visitar. Seja para degustar uma culinária maravilhosa, passear por belas casas e ruas ou visitar museus e cervejarias, Charleston tem muito a oferecer!

Esta é uma atração imperdível em Charleston! É porque é uma bela e brilhante fileira de treze casas em tons pastéis, conhecida como a mais longa fileira de casas geminadas georgianas em todos os EUA!

Esta casa transformada em museu, além de sua decoração e design luxuosos, possui escadas de três andares que voam livremente e que possuem beleza arquitetônica e integridade estrutural! Construída em 1808, esta casa também conta a história de escravos que lá viveram.

Visitar este museu é como reviver a história de Charleston. Há muitas coisas fascinantes neste lugar, e uma delas é o esqueleto enforcado de uma baleia que acabou no porto de Charleston no século XIX.

Esta cidade está situada na entrada do porto de Charleston. Se você deseja passear pelas praias da Carolina do Sul, não deixe de visitar este lugar maravilhoso! As ondas calmas e pacíficas, os passeios em caminhos naturais e a vasta extensão de areia que o espera fazem valer a pena visitar este local!

Se você estiver em Charleston, nunca perca esta rua movimentada! Contribuindo para seu charme sulista está seu significado arquitetônico e histórico. As inúmeras lojas ao longo desta rua a tornam um paraíso de compras. Na parte superior da King Street encontram-se restaurantes sofisticados.

Se você quiser uma experiência gastronômica completa do sul, faça uma visita a este restaurante! O fundador, o Chef Sean Brock, garante que os ingredientes utilizados na cozinha venham apenas do sul.

Embora esta lista seja uma sugestão de lugares que você deve visitar em Charleston, tenha em mente que Charleston é um tesouro cheio de atrações turísticas. É por isso que você deve verificar outras áreas famosas desta amada cidade.

Curiosidades sobre Charleston, SC

Esta cidade deve o seu nome ao rei Carlos II da Inglaterra em 1670.

Charleston é chamada de “Cidade Santa” por causa de seus muitos locais de culto estabelecidos sobre a cidade.

A Guerra Civil começou com o primeiro tiro disparado em Charleston, SC.

O primeiro jogo oficial de golfe dos EUA aconteceu em Charleston, SC.

O primeiro museu, faculdade pública e teatro em todos os EUA foram construídos em Charleston, SC.

Charleston é o sétimo maior porto de contêineres dos EUA.

Espero que isso tenha ajudado você a saber mais sobre Charleston, South Carolina.


Uma Visão Geral da História de Charleston S.C.

O rei Carlos II da Inglaterra deu o território da Carolina a oito amigos leais, então conhecidos coletivamente como os & # 8220Lords Owner & # 8221 em 1663. Seu primeiro assentamento na Carolina foi & # 8220Charles Town & # 8221 nomeado em homenagem ao rei Carlos, que mais tarde seria encurtado para & # 8220charleston& # 8221. A comunidade foi estabelecida em 1670 do outro lado do rio Ashley, a partir da localização atual de Charleston e # 8217. O local foi escolhido por Anthony Ashley-Cooper com a missão de se tornar um próspero & # 8220Porto da cidade”.

O assentamento inicial passou por tempos turbulentos com ataques periódicos da Espanha e da França, que contestaram a reivindicação da Inglaterra e do # 8217 na região. Combinado com a resistência dos nativos americanos e ataques de piratas, os colonos construíram uma parede de fortificação ao redor do assentamento original. Tudo o que resta do original & # 8220cidade murada& # 8221 é um edifício preservado que abrigava o suprimento de pólvora do assentamento & # 8217s.

Um plano para o & # 8220novo assentamento& # 8221 que é o site atual de & # 8220Charleston histórico& # 8221 foi criado em 1680 na congruência de onde os rios Ashley e Cooper desaguaram no Oceano Atlântico. Terreno ao redor da interseção de & # 8220Encontro e ruas largas& # 8221 foi reservado para uma Praça Cívica. Com o tempo, tornou-se conhecido como & # 8220Quatro Cantos da Lei& # 8221 referindo-se aos vários ramos da lei governamental e religiosa que presidiam a cidade em crescimento.

A próxima era de Charleston
St. Michael & # 8217s Episcopal, a igreja mais antiga de Charleston foi construída em 1752 e um Capitólio foi erguido em toda a praça no ano seguinte. O Tribunal Provincial se reuniu no andar térreo, enquanto a Câmara da Assembleia dos Comuns e a Câmara do Conselho do Governador Real & # 8217s residiam no segundo andar.

Os colonos originais de Charles Town eram ingleses. À medida que Charleston cresceu, tornou-se uma mistura de grupos étnicos e religiosos. Durante esse tempo colonial, Boston e Charleston se tornaram cidades irmãs, pois os ricos fizeram de Boston sua casa de verão, enquanto Charleston se tornou sua casa de inverno.

O comércio começou com as Bermudas e o Caribe, com muitos migrantes vindos dessas áreas. Alguns franceses, escoceses, irlandeses e alemães transplantados para Charleston trazendo diferentes religiões, incluindo protestante, católica e judaica para Charleston. Free Black Charlestonians e Black Slaves se uniram para construir o & # 8220Old Bethel United Methodist Church& # 8221 em 1797.

Charleston cresceu e se tornou um movimentado centro comercial portuário e se tornou a maior e mais rica cidade ao sul da Filadélfia e, em 1770, era o quarto maior porto nas colônias, atrás de Boston, Nova York e Filadélfia. Sua população era de cerca de 11.000, com mais da metade composta de escravos. O arroz e o índigo se tornaram o cultivo primário de ricos proprietários de plantações, e a exportação fez de Charleston o centro cultural e econômico do sul.

Durante este período de imigração para a região baixa de Charleston, a migração para o & # 8220interior& # 8221 de Carolina também estava ocorrendo. Muito disso veio do exterior através de Charleston, mas muitos novos imigrantes vieram para o sul da Virgínia, Maryland e Pensilvânia. No final das contas, a população do interior do estado tornou-se maior do que a região costeira de Charleston. Com diferentes origens, culturas e interesses, várias gerações de conflitos ocorreram entre os & # 8220menos polido& # 8221 up-states e a elite de Charleston.


A declaração de independência
A relação entre as colônias e a Inglaterra começou a se deteriorar. Em protesto contra a Lei do Chá de 1773 pela Inglaterra (tributação sem representação), Charleston confiscou e armazenou chá em Charleston & # 8217s & # 8220Câmbio e Alfândega& # 8221. Representantes das colônias se reuniram no Exchange em 1774 para eleger delegados ao Congresso Continental, grupo responsável pela redação da Declaração de Independência da Inglaterra.

Período pós-revolucionário
A invenção do descaroçador de algodão em 1793 tornou o algodão Charleston & # 8217s e Carolina do Sul & # 8217s um grande produto de exportação e alimentou ainda mais a prosperidade de uma economia dominada por plantações. As plantações de algodão dependiam de trabalho escravo e os escravos se tornaram a principal força de trabalho na cidade como empregados domésticos e trabalhadores do mercado. Em 1820, a população de Charleston e # 8217 havia aumentado para 23.000, com uma maioria negra.

Um negro livre (não escravo) Dinamarca Vesey instigou o planejamento de uma revolta de escravos que foi descoberta em 1822 antes que a revolta pudesse ser implementada. Com a histeria que se seguiu, os charlestonianos brancos restringiram as atividades de todos os negros. Centenas de negros e até mesmo alguns apoiadores brancos do levante planejado foram detidos no & # 8220Old Jail& # 8221. Dinamarca Vessey acabou sendo enforcado.

Durante a primeira metade de 1800, os carolinianos do Sul tornaram-se inflexíveis sobre os direitos do estado e a autoridade do governo federal. Mais de 90% do financiamento federal foi derivado de direitos de importação, dos quais uma quantia significativa foi gerada pela cidade portuária de Charleston. Em 1832, a Carolina do Sul anulou os atos tarifários federais. Isso levou ao movimento de soldados federais para os fortes de Charleston & # 8217s, como & # 8220Fort Sumter& # 8221 e começou a cobrar as tarifas pela força. Um acordo foi finalmente alcançado, resultando na redução gradual dos direitos tarifários.

Nesse ínterim, houve desacordo político sobre o uso e a extensão da escravidão a outros territórios. Antes da eleição presidencial de 1860, a Convenção Democrática Nacional se reuniu em Charleston. & # 8220Hiberian Hall& # 8221 serviu como sede dos delegados que apoiaram Stephen A. Douglas como presidente. Os delegados esperavam que Douglas pudesse preencher a lacuna entre os democratas do norte e do sul na questão da escravidão. A convenção se desintegrou quando os delegados não conseguiram convocar uma maioria de dois terços para nenhum candidato. A divisão no Partido Democrata levou à eleição de Abraham Lincoln, o candidato republicano.

O Período da Guerra Civil Americana
Em 20 de dezembro de 1860, a legislatura da Carolina do Sul foi o primeiro estado do sul a votar pela secessão da União Federal, principalmente porque os propósitos de Abraham Lincoln & # 8217s foram considerados & # 8220hostil à escravidão continuada”.

Em 9 de janeiro de 1861, cadetes da faculdade militar de artes liberais Citadel, Carolina do Sul e # 8217s dispararam os primeiros tiros da Guerra Civil em um navio da União que entrava no porto de Charleston. Em 12 de abril de 1961, as forças confederadas da Carolina do Sul dispararam contra o Fort Sumter no porto. Após 34 horas de bombardeio contínuo, as forças da União renderam Fort Sumter.

Em 1865, tropas reforçadas da União atacaram Charleston e tomaram o controle da cidade. Após a derrota final da Confederação, as forças federais permaneceram em Charleston durante sua reconstrução da guerra que destruiu a prosperidade de Charleston. Os escravos foram libertados, a economia melhorou e Charleston desfrutou de vitalidade renovada e compromisso com a reconstrução, preservação e dedicação para restaurar a comunidade e as instituições da sociedade.

Charleston South Carolina atual e # 8217
Charleston tem um lado moderno, mas o ímã para o turismo é a rica história de Charleston com sua arquitetura preservada e pontos de referência que viverão para os residentes e visitantes.

Hoje, todos os habitantes de Charleston & # 8230 preto e branco referem-se afetuosamente a Charleston como & # 8220A cidade santa& # 8221 onde os rios Ashley e Cooper se fundem para formar o porto de Charleston no Oceano Atlântico.


Nossos visitantes costumam usar erros de ortografia e abreviações para Charleston,
Carolina do Sul, incluindo Charlston, Carlina, SC, So Carolina, So Car. Comercial
também use Low Country ou Lowcountry para descrever Charleston.
Essas palavras foram incluídas para conveniência do usuário.

Soluções para residentes e veranistas de Charleston
Hotéis, hospedagem, restaurantes, atrações, imóveis, férias e informações turísticas


Terremoto sacode Charleston, Carolina do Sul

Um terremoto perto de Charleston, Carolina do Sul, em 31 de agosto de 1886 deixou mais de 100 pessoas mortas e centenas de edifícios destruídos. Este foi o maior terremoto registrado na história do sudeste dos Estados Unidos.

O terremoto foi precedido por choques sentidos em Summerville, Carolina do Sul, nos dias 27 e 28 de agosto, mas, ainda assim, ninguém estava preparado para a força do terremoto de 31 de agosto. Às 21h51, o estrondo começou, e foi sentido tão longe quanto Boston, Chicago e Cuba. Houve danos em edifícios tão distantes quanto Ohio e Alabama. Foi Charleston, na Carolina do Sul, porém, que sofreu o maior impacto do terremoto, que se acredita ter tido uma magnitude de cerca de 7,6. Quase todos os edifícios da cidade foram seriamente danificados. Estima-se que 14.000 chaminés caíram com o terremoto. Isso causou vários incêndios e linhas de água e poços foram rompidos. O dano total foi superior a US $ 5,5 milhões (cerca de US $ 112 milhões em dinheiro de hoje).

Embora não houvesse rachaduras na superfície aparentes como resultado desse tremor, os trilhos da ferrovia foram dobrados em todas as direções em alguns locais. Hectares de terra foram liquefeitos. Este terremoto permaneceu um mistério por muitos anos, já que não havia falhas subterrâneas conhecidas em 60 milhas em qualquer direção. No entanto, métodos científicos e de detecção melhores descobriram recentemente uma falha oculta ao longo das planícies costeiras da Virgínia e das Carolinas. Ainda assim, um terremoto dessa magnitude permanece altamente improvável neste local.


História de Charleston, Carolina do Sul - História

A história de Charleston, na Carolina do Sul, é uma das mais longas e diversificadas de qualquer comunidade dos Estados Unidos, abrangendo centenas de anos de ocupação física, começando em 1670 até os tempos modernos.

Fundação e crescimento inicial

Depois que Carlos II da Inglaterra, Escócia e Irlanda (1630–1685) foi restaurado ao trono inglês após o Protetorado de Oliver Cromwell, ele concedeu o território da Carolina fretado a oito de seus amigos leais, conhecidos como Lords Proprietors, em 1663. levou sete anos para que os Lordes pudessem providenciar um acordo, o primeiro sendo o de Charles Town. A comunidade foi estabelecida por colonos ingleses em 1670 na margem oeste do rio Ashley, algumas milhas a noroeste da cidade atual. Foi logo escolhida por Anthony Ashley-Cooper, um dos Lords Proprietors, para se tornar uma “grande cidade portuária”, um destino que a cidade cumpriu. Em 1680, o assentamento havia crescido, junto com outros da Inglaterra, Barbados e Virgínia, e realocado para sua atual localização peninsular. Capital da colônia da Carolina, Charleston foi o centro de uma expansão futura e o ponto mais meridional da colonização inglesa durante o final do século XVII.

O assentamento freqüentemente estava sujeito a ataques do mar e da terra. Ataques periódicos da Espanha e da França (como a expedição fracassada de 1706 durante a Guerra da Rainha Anne), que ainda contestavam as reivindicações da Inglaterra para a região, foram combinados com a resistência dos nativos americanos, bem como ataques de piratas. Os colonos de Charleston ergueram uma parede de fortificação ao redor do pequeno assentamento para ajudar em sua defesa. Dois edifícios permanecem da cidade murada, o magazine de pólvora, onde o suprimento de pólvora da cidade era armazenado, e a Casa Rosa, que se acredita ter sido uma antiga taverna colonial.

Um plano de 1680 para o novo assentamento, o Grand Modell, traçou “o modelo de uma cidade regular exata” e o futuro para a comunidade em crescimento. O terreno ao redor do cruzamento das ruas Meeting e Broad foi reservado para uma Praça Cívica. Com o tempo, tornou-se conhecido como o Quatro Cantos da Lei, referindo-se aos vários ramos da lei governamental e religiosa que presidem à praça e à cidade em crescimento. A Igreja Episcopal de São Miguel, a igreja mais antiga e famosa de Charleston, foi construída no canto sudeste em 1752. No ano seguinte, o Capitólio da colônia foi erguido do outro lado da praça. Por causa de sua posição de destaque na cidade e sua arquitetura elegante, o edifício sinalizou para os cidadãos e visitantes de Charleston sua importância nas colônias britânicas. O tribunal provincial reuniu-se no piso térreo, a Câmara dos Comuns da Assembleia e a Câmara do Conselho do Governador Real reuniram-se no segundo piso.

Em meados do século 18, Charleston havia se tornado um movimentado centro comercial, o centro do comércio atlântico para as colônias do sul e a maior e mais rica cidade ao sul da Filadélfia. Em 1770, era o quarto maior porto das colônias, atrás apenas de Boston, Nova York e Filadélfia, com uma população de 11.000, pouco mais da metade dos escravos. O arroz e o índigo foram cultivados com sucesso por proprietários de escravos nas terras baixas costeiras vizinhas. Essas e as lojas navais foram exportadas em uma indústria de navegação extremamente lucrativa. Era o centro cultural e econômico do sul.

Diversidade étnica e religiosa

Embora os primeiros colonos tenham vindo principalmente da Inglaterra, a colonial Charleston também foi o lar de uma mistura de grupos étnicos e religiosos. Na época colonial, Boston, Massachusetts e Charleston eram cidades irmãs, e pessoas de posses passavam verões em Boston e invernos em Charleston. Havia muito comércio com as Bermudas e o Caribe, e algumas pessoas vieram morar em Charleston dessas áreas. Franceses, escoceses, irlandeses e alemães migraram para a cidade costeira em desenvolvimento, representando várias denominações protestantes, bem como o catolicismo romano e o judaísmo. Judeus sefarditas migraram para a cidade em tal número que Charleston acabou abrigando, no início do século 19 e até cerca de 1830, a maior e mais rica comunidade judaica da América do Norte. O cemitério Jewish Coming Street, estabelecido pela primeira vez em 1762, atesta sua presença de longa data na comunidade. A primeira igreja anglicana, a Igreja Episcopal de São Filipe, foi construída em 1682, embora posteriormente destruída por um incêndio e transferida para sua localização atual. Os escravos também constituíam a maior parte da população e eram ativos na comunidade religiosa da cidade. Charlestonians negros livres e escravos ajudaram a estabelecer a Igreja Metodista Unida de Old Bethel em 1797, e a congregação de Emanuel A.M.E. Igreja deriva de um grupo religioso organizado unicamente por afro-americanos, livres e escravos, em 1791. É a mais antiga A.M.E. igreja no sul, e a segunda mais antiga A.M.E. igreja no país. O primeiro museu americano foi aberto ao público em 12 de janeiro de 1773 em Charleston. A partir de meados do século 18, uma grande quantidade de imigração estava ocorrendo no interior das Carolinas, parte dela vindo do exterior através de Charleston, mas também grande parte dela um movimento para o sul da Virgínia, Maryland e Pensilvânia, até que a população do interior foi maior do que a população costeira. O povo do interior era visto pelos habitantes de Charleston como sendo pouco polido de várias maneiras e tinha interesses diferentes, preparando o cenário para várias gerações de conflitos entre o interior e a elite de Charleston.

Foto acima: Igreja Episcopal de São Filipe

À medida que Charleston crescia, cresciam também as oportunidades culturais e sociais da comunidade, especialmente para os comerciantes e proprietários de elite. O primeiro edifício do teatro na América foi construído em Charleston em 1736, mas mais tarde foi substituído pelo Planter's Hotel do século 19, onde fazendeiros ricos se hospedavam durante a temporada de corridas de cavalos de Charleston (agora o Dock Street Theatre, conhecido como um dos mais antigos teatros ativos construídos para apresentações teatrais nos Estados Unidos. As sociedades benevolentes foram formadas por vários grupos étnicos diferentes: a South Carolina Society, fundada por huguenotes franceses em 1737, a German Friendly Society, fundada em 1766 e a Hibernian Society, fundada por imigrantes irlandeses em 1801. A Charleston Library Society foi fundada em 1748 por alguns Charlestonians ricos que desejavam acompanhar as questões científicas e filosóficas da época. Este grupo também ajudou a estabelecer o College of Charleston em 1770, o mais antigo da Carolina do Sul e o 13º mais antigo do Estados Unidos.

Revolução Americana: 1776 - 1785

À medida que o relacionamento entre os colonos e a Inglaterra se deteriorava, Charleston se tornou um ponto focal na Revolução Americana que se seguiu. Em protesto contra a Lei do Chá de 1773, que incorporava o conceito de tributação sem representação, os charlestonianos confiscaram o chá e o armazenaram na Bolsa e na Alfândega. Representantes de toda a colônia compareceram à Bolsa em 1774 para eleger delegados ao Congresso Continental, grupo responsável pela redação da Declaração de Independência e a Carolina do Sul declarou sua independência da coroa nos degraus da Bolsa. Logo, as torres da igreja de Charleston, especialmente a de St. Michael, se tornaram alvos dos navios de guerra britânicos, fazendo com que as forças rebeldes pintassem as torres de preto para se misturar com o céu noturno.

Foi duas vezes alvo de ataques britânicos. Em cada estágio, a estratégia britânica assumiu uma grande base de partidários legalistas que se uniriam ao rei com algum apoio militar. Em 28 de junho de 1776, o general Henry Clinton com 2.000 homens e um esquadrão naval tentou apreender Charleston, na esperança de um levante legalista simultâneo na Carolina do Sul. Parecia uma maneira barata de travar a guerra, mas falhou quando a força naval foi derrotada pelo Exército Continental, especificamente o 2º Regimento da Carolina do Sul em Fort Moultrie sob o comando de William Moultrie. Quando a frota disparou balas de canhão, os explosivos não conseguiram penetrar nas paredes inacabadas do forte, mas grossas de madeira de palmito. Além disso, nenhum legalista local atacou a cidade pelas costas, como os britânicos esperavam. Os legalistas eram muito mal organizados para serem eficazes, mas até 1780 altos funcionários em Londres, enganados por exilados legalistas, depositaram sua confiança em seu levante.

Clinton voltou em 1780 com 14.000 soldados. O general americano Benjamin Lincoln ficou preso e entregou toda a sua força de 5400 homens após uma longa luta, e o Cerco de Charleston foi a maior derrota americana na guerra (veja a seção “Comandante em Chefe” de Henry Clinton para mais informações). Vários americanos escaparam da carnificina e se juntaram a várias milícias, incluindo as de Francis Marion, o ‘Swampfox’ e Andrew Pickens. Essas milícias usaram táticas de bater e fugir. Eventualmente, Clinton voltou a Nova York, deixando Charles Cornwallis com 8.000 casacas vermelhas para reunir os legalistas, construir fortes em todo o estado e exigir juramentos de lealdade ao rei. Muitos desses fortes foram ocupados pelas milícias guerrilheiras em menor número. Os britânicos mantiveram o controle da cidade até dezembro de 1782. Após a saída dos britânicos, o nome da cidade foi oficialmente mudado para Charleston em 1783.

Antebellum: 1785 - 1861

Comércio e expansão

By 1788, Carolinians were meeting at the Capitol building for the Constitutional Ratification Convention, and while there was support for the Federal Government, division arose over the location of the new State Capital. A suspicious fire broke out in the Capitol building during the Convention, after which the delegates removed to the Exchange and decreed Columbia the new state capital. By 1792, the Capitol had been rebuilt and became the Charleston County Courthouse. Upon its completion, the city possessed all the public buildings necessary to be transformed from a colonial capital to the center of the antebellum South. The grandeur and number of buildings erected in the following century reflect the optimism, pride, and civic destiny that many Charlestonians felt for their community.

Charleston became more prosperous in the plantation-dominated economy of the post-Revolutionary years. The invention of the cotton gin in 1793 revolutionized this crop’s production, and it quickly became South Carolina’s major export. Cotton plantations relied heavily on slave labor. Slaves were also the primary labor force within the city, working as domestics, artisans, market workers or laborers. Many black Charlestonians spoke Gullah, a language based on African American structures which combined African, French, German, Jamaican, English, Bahamian and Dutch words. In 1807 the Charleston Market was founded. It soon became a hub for the African-American community, with many slaves and free people of color staffing stalls.

Photo Above : City Market, now occupied by the Daughters of the Confederacy.

By 1820 Charleston’s population had grown to 23,000, with a black majority. When a massive slave revolt planned by Denmark Vesey, a free black, was discovered in 1822, such hysteria ensued amidst white Charlestonians and Carolinians that the activities of free blacks and slaves were severely restricted. Hundreds of blacks, free and slave, and some white supporters involved in the planned uprising were held in the Old Jail. It also was the impetus for the construction of a new State Arsenal in Charleston. Recently, research published by historian Michael P. Johnson of Johns Hopkins University has cast doubt on the veracity of the accounts detailing Vesey’s aborted slave revolt.

Photo Above : List of exports to Europe from Charleston, 1787

As Charleston’s government, society and industry grew, commercial institutions were established to support the community’s aspirations. The Bank of South Carolina, the second oldest building constructed as a bank in the nation, was established here in 1798. Branches of the First and Second Bank of the United States were also located in Charleston in 1800 and 1817. While the First Bank was converted to City Hall by 1818, the Second Bank proved to be a vital part of the community as it was the only bank in the city equipped to handle the international transactions so crucial to the export trade. By 1840, the Market Hall and Sheds, where fresh meat and produce were brought daily, became the commercial hub of the city. The slave trade also depended on the port of Charleston, where ships could be unloaded and the slaves sold at markets. Contrary to popular belief, slaves were never traded at the Market Hall areas.

Political changes

In the first half of the 19th century, South Carolinians became more devoted to the idea that state’s rights were superior to the Federal government’s authority. Buildings such as the Marine Hospital ignited controversy over the degree in which the Federal government should be involved in South Carolina’s government, society, and commerce. During this period over 90 percent of Federal funding was generated from import duties, collected by custom houses such as the one in Charleston. In 1832 South Carolina passed an ordinance of nullification, a procedure in which a state could in effect repeal a Federal law, directed against the most recent tariff acts. Soon Federal soldiers were dispensed to Charleston’s forts and began to collect tariffs by force. A compromise was reached by which the tariffs would be gradually reduced, but the underlying argument over state’s rights would continue to escalate in the coming decades. Charleston remained one of the busiest port cities in the country, and the construction of a new, larger United States Custom House began in 1849, but its construction was interrupted by the events of the Civil War.

Prior to the 1860 election, the National Democratic Convention convened in Charleston. Hibernian Hall served as the headquarters for the delegates supporting Stephen A. Douglas, who it was hoped would bridge the gap between the northern and southern delegates on the issue of extending slavery to the territories. The convention disintegrated when delegates were unable to summon a two-thirds majority for any candidate. This divisiveness resulted in a split in the Democratic Party, and the election of Abraham Lincoln, the Republican candidate.

Civil War: 1861 – 1865

On December 20, 1860, the South Carolina General Assembly made the state the first to ever secede from the Union. On January 9, 1861, Citadel cadets fired the first shots of the American Civil War when they opened fire on the Union ship Star of the West entering Charleston’s harbor. On April 12, 1861, shore batteries under the command of General Pierre G. T. Beauregard opened fire on the Union-held Fort Sumter in the harbor. After a 34-hour bombardment, Major Robert Anderson surrendered the fort. Officers and cadets from The Citadel were assigned to various Confederate batteries during the bombardment of Fort Sumter. Although The Citadel continued to operate as an academy during the Civil War, cadets were made a part of the South Carolina military department along with the cadets from the Arsenal Academy in Columbia, to form the Battalion of State Cadets. Cadets from both institutions continued to aid the Confederate army by helping drill recruits, manufacture ammunition, protect arms depots, and guard Union prisoners.

In December 1864 Citadel and Arsenal cadets were ordered to join Confederate forces at Tullifinny Creek, South Carolina where they engaged in pitched battles with advancing units of General W. T. Sherman‘s army, suffering eight casualties.

Photo Above : The ruins of Mills House and nearby buildings in Charleston, with a shell-damaged carriage and the remains of a brick chimney in the foreground. 1865.

In all, The Citadel Corps of Cadets earned eight battle streamers and one service streamer for its service to South Carolina during the War. The city under siege took control of Fort Sumter, became the center for blockade running, and was the site of the first successful submarine warfare on February 17, 1864 when the H.L. Hunley made a daring night attack on the USS Housatonic. In 1865, Union troops moved into the city, and took control of many sites, such as the United States Arsenal, which the Confederate army had seized at the outbreak of the war. The War department also confiscated the grounds and buildings of the Citadel Military Academy, which was used as a federal garrison for over 17 years, until its return to the state and reopening as a military college in 1882 under the direction of Lawrence E. Marichak.

Photo Above : Ruins seen from the Circular Church, Charleston, South Carolina, 1865.

Postbellum: 1865 – 1945

Reconstrução

After the defeat of the Confederacy, Federal forces remained in Charleston during the city’s reconstruction. The war had shattered the prosperity of the antebellum city. Freed slaves were faced with poverty and discrimination. Industries slowly brought the city and its inhabitants back to a renewed vitality and growth in population. As the city’s commerce improved, Charlestonians also worked to restore their community institutions.

King Street circa 1910-1920

In 1867 Charleston’s first free secondary school for blacks was established, the Avery Institute. General William T. Sherman lent his support to the conversion of the United States Arsenal into the Porter Military Academy, an educational facility for former soldiers and boys left orphaned or destitute by the war. Porter Military Academy later joined with Gaud School and is now a K-12 prep school, Porter-Gaud School. The William Enston Homes, a planned community for the city’s aged and infirmed, was built in 1889. J. Taylor Pearson, a freed slave, designed the Homes, and passed peacefully in them after years as the maintenance manager post-reconstruction. An elaborate public building, the United States Post Office and Courthouse, was completed in 1896 and signaled renewed life in the heart of the city.

Photo Above: Confederate Memorial at White Point Gardens.

1886 Earthquake

On August 31, 1886, Charleston was nearly destroyed by an earthquake measuring 7.5 on the Richter scale. Major damage was reported as far away as Tybee Island, Georgia (over 60 miles away) and structural damage was reported several hundred miles from Charleston (including central Alabama, central Ohio, eastern Kentucky, southern Virginia, and western West Virginia). It was felt as far away as Boston to the north, Chicago and Milwaukee to the northwest, as far west as New Orleans, as far south as Cuba, and as far east as Bermuda. It damaged 2,000 buildings in Charleston and caused $6 million worth of damage ($133 million(2006 USD)), while in the whole city the buildings were only valued at approximately $24 million($531 million(2006 USD).

Modern-day: 1945 – present

Hurricane Hugo

Much of Charleston was devastated by Hurricane Hugo

Hurricane Hugo hit Charleston in 1989, and though the worst damage was in nearby McClellanville, the storm damaged three-quarters of the homes in Charleston’s historic district. The hurricane caused over $2.8 billion in damage.

Joe Riley era

Since his election as mayor in 1975, Joe Riley has been the major proponent of reviving Charleston’s economic and cultural heritage. The last thirty years of the 20th century saw major new reinvestment in the city, with a number of municipal improvements and a commitment to historic preservation. These commitments were not slowed down by Hurricane Hugo and continue to this day.

Charleston is a major tourist destination, with a considerable number of luxury hotels, hotel chains, inns, and bed and breakfasts and a large number of award-winning restaurants and quality shopping. The city is well-known for its streets lined with grand live oaks draped with Spanish moss, and the ubiquity of the Cabbage Palmetto, which is the state tree of South Carolina. Along the waterfront in an area known as Rainbow Row are many beautiful and historic pastel-colored homes. The city is also an important port, boasting the second largest container seaport on the East Coast and the fourth largest container seaport in North America. Charleston is becoming a prime location for information technology jobs and corporations, most notably Boeing, Google, Amazon, Blackbaud, Modulant, CSS and Benefitfocus.

Charleston is also an important art destination, named a top 25 arts destination by AmericanStyle magazine.

Charleston is the primary medical center for the eastern portion of the state. The city has several major hospitals located in the downtown area alone: Medical University of South Carolina Medical Center (MUSC), Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center, and Roper Hospital. MUSC is the state’s first school of medicine, the largest medical university in the state, and the sixth oldest continually operating school of medicine in the United States. The downtown medical district is experiencing rapid growth of biotechnology and medical research industries coupled with substantial expansions of all the major hospitals. Additionally, more expansions are planned or underway at several other major hospitals located in other portions of the city and the metropolitan area: Bon Secours-St Francis Xavier Hospital, Trident Medical Center, and East Cooper Regional Medical Center.


One of the Earliest Memorial Day Ceremonies Was Held by Freed African Americans

Memorial Day was born out of necessity. After the American Civil War, a battered United States was faced with the task of burying and honoring the 600,000 to 800,000 Union and Confederate soldiers who had died in the single bloodiest military conflict in American history. The first national commemoration of Memorial Day was held in Arlington National Cemetery on May 30, 1868, where both Union and Confederate soldiers are buried.

Several towns and cities across America claim to have observed their own earlier versions of Memorial Day or �oration Day” as early as 1866. (The earlier name is derived from the fact that decorating graves was and remains a central activity of Memorial Day.) But it wasn’t until a remarkable discovery in a dusty Harvard University archive the late 1990s that historians learned about a Memorial Day commemoration organized by a group of Black people freed from enslavement less than a month after the Confederacy surrendered in 1865.

Back in 1996, David Blight, a professor of American History at Yale University, was researching a book on the Civil War when he had one of those once-in-a-career eureka moments. A curator at Harvard’s Houghton Library asked if he wanted to look through two boxes of unsorted material from Union veterans.

“There was a file labeled 𠆏irst Decoration Day,’” remembers Blight, still amazed at his good fortune. 𠇊nd inside on a piece of cardboard was a narrative handwritten by an old veteran, plus a date referencing an article in o New York Tribune. That narrative told the essence of the story that I ended up telling in my book, of this march on the race track in 1865.”

The clubhouse at the Charleston racetrack where the 1865 Memorial Day events took place.

The race track in question was the Washington Race Course and Jockey Club in Charleston, South Carolina. In the late stages of the Civil War, the Confederate army transformed the formerly posh country club into a makeshift prison for Union captives. More than 260 Union soldiers died from disease and exposure while being held in the race track’s open-air infield. Their bodies were hastily buried in a mass grave behind the grandstands.

When Charleston fell and Confederate troops evacuated the badly damaged city, those freed from enslavement remained. One of the first things those emancipated men and women did was to give the fallen Union prisoners a proper burial. They exhumed the mass grave and reinterred the bodies in a new cemetery with a tall whitewashed fence inscribed with the words: “Martyrs of the Race Course.”

And then on May 1, 1865, something even more extraordinary happened. According to two reports that Blight found in The New York Tribune e The Charleston Courier, a crowd of 10,000 people, mostly freed slaves with some white missionaries, staged a parade around the race track. Three thousand Black schoolchildren carried bouquets of flowers and sang “John Brown’s Body.” Members of the famed 54th Massachusetts and other Black Union regiments were in attendance and performed double-time marches. Black ministers recited verses from the Bible.

The Battle of Fort Wagner on Morris Island was the Union attack on July 18, 1863, led by the 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry. The infantry was one of the first major American military units made up of Black soldiers. 

If the news reports are accurate, the 1865 gathering at the Charleston race track would be the earliest Memorial Day commemoration on record. Blight excitedly called the Avery Institute of Afro-American History and Culture at the College of Charleston, looking for more information on the historic event.

But it was clear from the newspaper reports that a Memorial Day observance was organized by freed slaves in Charleston at least a year before other U.S. cities and three years before the first national observance. How had been lost to history for over a century?

“This was a story that had really been suppressed both in the local memory and certainly the national memory,” says Blight. 𠇋ut nobody who had witnessed it could ever have forgotten it.”

Blight kept digging for more information, but the only other mention he found of the race track event was in a 1916 correspondence sent from a women’s Civil War historical society in New Orleans to its sister chapter in Charleston, asking about a big parade of freed slaves on a horse track at the end of the war.

“I regret that I was unable to gather any official information in answer to this,” wrote the Charleston society’s president.

“That’s such a telling statement,” says Blight. “The woman who wrote that letter may not have known about it, but the fact that she didn’t tells the story.”

A sketch of the Union Soldiers cemetery, reading the "Martyrs of the Race course," in Charleston, South Carolina.

Once the war was over and Charleston was rebuilt in the 1880s, the city’s white residents likely had little interest in remembering an event held by former enslaved people to celebrate the Union dead. “That didn’t fit their version of what the war was all about,” says Blight.

In time, the old horse track and country club were torn down, and thanks to a gift from a wealthy Northern patron, the Union soldiers&apos graves were moved from the humble white-fenced graveyard in Charleston to the Beaufort National Cemetery. By the time Blight was rummaging through the Harvard archives in 1996, the story of the first Memorial Day had been entirely forgotten.

After his book Raça e Reunião was published in 2001, Blight gave a talk about Memorial Day at the Smithsonian National Museum of American History, and after it was finished, an older Black woman approached him.

“You mean that story is true?” the woman asked Blight. “I grew up in Charleston, and my granddaddy used to tell us this story of a parade at the old race track, and we never knew whether to believe him or not. You mean that’s true?”

For Blight, it’s less important whether the 1865 commemoration of the “Martyrs of the Race Course” is officially recognized as the first Memorial Day.

“It’s the fact that this occurred in Charleston at a cemetery site for the Union dead in a city where the Civil war had begun,” says Blight, 𠇊nd that it was organized and done਋y African American former slaves is what gives it such poignancy.”


Charleston Community History

The Pineapple Fountain located in Charleston Waterfront Park.

After Charles II was restored to the English throne, he granted the chartered Carolina territory to eight of his loyal friends, known as the Lord Proprietors, in 1663. It took seven years before the Lords could arrange for settlement, the first being that of Charles Town. The community named for the King Charles I was established by English settlers in 1670 across the Ashley River from the city's current location. It was soon chosen by Anthony Ashley-Cooper, one of the Lord Proprietors, to become a "great port towne," a destiny which the city fulfilled. By 1680, the settlement had grown, joined by others from England, Barbados, and Virginia, and relocated to its current peninsular location. The capital of the Carolina colony, Charleston was the center for further expansion and the southernmost point of English settlement during the late 1600s.

The settlement was often subject to attack from sea and from land. Periodic assaults from Spain and France, who still contested England's claims to the region, were combined with resistance from American Indians as well as pirate raids. Charleston's colonists erected a fortification wall around the small settlement to aid in its defense. The only building to remain from the Walled City is the Powder Magazine, where the city's supply of gun powder was stored.

A 1680 plan for the new settlement, the Grand Modell, laid out "the model of an exact regular town," and the future for the growing community. Land surrounding the intersection of Meeting and Broad Streets was set aside for a Civic Square. Over time it became known as the Four Corners of the Law, referring to the various arms of governmental and religious law presiding over the square and the growing city. St. Michael’s Episcopal, Charleston's oldest and most noted church, was built on the southeast corner in 1752. The following year the Capitol of the colony was erected across the square. Because of its prominent position within the city and its elegant architecture, the building signaled to Charleston's citizens and visitors its importance within the British colonies. Provincial court met on the ground floor, the Commons House of Assembly and the Royal Governor's Council Chamber met on the second floor.

While the earliest settlers primarily came from England, colonial Charleston was also home to a mixture of ethnic and religious groups. French, Scottish, Irish and Germans migrated to the developing seacoast town, representing numerous Protestant denominations, as well as Catholicism and Judaism. Sephardic Jews (of Spanish and Portuguese ancestry) migrated to the city in such numbers that Charleston became one of the largest Jewish communities in North America. The Jewish Coming Street Cemetery, first established in 1762, attests to their long standing presence in the community. The first Anglican church, St. Philip’s Episcopal, was built in 1682, although later destroyed by fire and relocated to its current location. Enslaved people also comprised a major portion of the population, and were active in the city's religious community. Both free black and enslaved Charlestonians helped establish the Old Bethel United Methodist Church in 1797, and the congregation of the Emanuel A.M.E. Church stems from a religious group organized solely by African Americans, free and enslaved, in 1791.

By the mid-18th century Charleston had become a bustling trade center, and the wealthiest and largest city south of Philadelphia. Rice and indigo had been successfully cultivated by gentleman planters in the surrounding coastal lowcountry, while merchants profited from the successful shipping industry. As the relationship between the colonists and England deteriorated, Charleston became a focal point in the ensuing Revolution. In protest of the Tea Act of 1773, which embodied the concept of "taxation without representation," Charlestonians confiscated tea and stored it in the Exchange and Customs House. Representatives from all over the colony came to the Exchange in 1774 to elect delegates to the Continental Congress, the group responsible for drafting the Declaration of Independence and South Carolina declared its independence from the crown on the steps of the Exchange.

Soon, the church steeples of Charleston, especially St. Michael's, became targets for British war ships. A siege on the city in 1776 was successfully defended by William Moultrie from Sullivan's Island, but by 1780 Charleston came under British control for two and a half years. After the British retreated in December 1782, the city's name was officially changed to Charleston.

By 1788, Carolinians were meeting at the Capitol building for the Constitutional Ratification Convention, and while there was support for the Federal Government, division arose over the location of the new State Capital. A suspicious fire broke out in the Capitol building during the Convention, after which the delegates removed to the Exchange and decreed Columbia the new State Capital. By 1792, the Capitol had been rebuilt and became the Charleston County Courthouse. Upon its completion, the city possessed all the public buildings necessary to be transformed from a colonial capital to the center of the antebellum South. But the grandeur and number of buildings erected in the following century reflect the optimism, pride, and civic destiny that many Charlestonians felt for their community.

As Charleston grew, so did the community's cultural and social opportunities, especially for the elite merchants and planters. The first theater building in America was built in Charleston in 1736, but was later replaced by the 19th-century Planter's Hotel where wealthy planters stayed during Charleston's horse-racing season (now the Dock Street Theatre). Benevolent societies were formed by several different ethnic groups: the South Carolina Society, founded by French Huguenots in 1737 the German Friendly Society, founded in 1766 and the Hibernian Society, founded by Irish immigrants in 1801. The Charleston Library Society was established in 1748 by some wealthy Charlestonians who wished to keep up with the scientific and philosophical issues of the day. This group also helped establish the College of Charleston in 1770, the oldest college in South Carolina and the 13th college in the United States.

Charleston became more prosperous in the plantation dominated economy of the post-Revolutionary years. The invention of the cotton gin in 1793 revolutionized this crop's production, and it quickly became South Carolina's major export. Cotton plantations relied heavily on the forced labor of enslaved Africans. Enslaved men, women, and children were also the primary labor force within the city, working as domestics, artisans, market workers or laborers. Many black Charlestonians spoke Gullah, a dialect based on African American structures which combined African, Portuguese, and English words.

By 1820 Charleston's population had grown to 23,000, with a black majority. When Denmark Vesey’s planned uprising of enslaved people was discovered in 1822, hysteria ensued amidst white Charlestonians. As a result, the activities of free and enslaved blacks were severely restricted. Hundreds of African Americans and some white supporters involved in the planned uprising were held in the Old Jail. It was also the impetus for the construction of a new State Arsenal in Charleston.

As Charleston's government, society and industry grew, commercial institutions were established to support the community's aspirations. The Bank of South Carolina, the second oldest building constructed as a bank in the nation, was established here in 1798. Branches of the First and Second Bank of the United States were also located in Charleston in 1800 and 1817. While the First Bank was converted to City Hall by 1818, the Second Bank proved to be a vital part of the community as it was the only bank in the city equipped to handle the international transactions so crucial to the export trade. By 1840, the Market Hall and Sheds, where fresh meat and produce were brought daily, became the commercial hub of the city. The slave trade also depended on the port of Charleston, where ships could be unloaded and enslaved people sold at markets.

In the first half of the 19th century, South Carolinians became more devoted to the idea that state's rights were superior to the Federal government's authority. Buildings such as the Marine Hospital ignited controversy over the degree in which the Federal government should be involved in South Carolina's government, society, and commerce. During this period over 90 percent of Federal funding was generated from import duties, collected by custom houses such as the one in Charleston. In 1832 South Carolina passed an ordinance of nullification, a procedure in which a state could in effect repeal a Federal law, directed against the most recent tariff acts. Soon Federal soldiers were dispensed to Charleston's forts and began to collect tariffs by force. A compromise was reached by which the tariffs would be gradually reduced, but the underlying argument over state's rights would continue to escalate in the coming decades. Charleston remained one of the busiest port cities in the country, and the construction of a new, larger United States Custom House began in 1849, but its construction was interrupted by the events of the Civil War.

In 1860, the National Democratic Convention convened in Charleston. Hibernian Hall served as the headquarters for the delegates supporting Stephen A. Douglas, who it was hoped would bridge the gap between the northern and southern delegates on the issue of extending slavery to the territories. The convention disintegrated when delegates were unable to summon a two-thirds majority for any candidate. This divisiveness resulted in a split in the Democratic party, and the election of Abraham Lincoln, the Republican candidate. On December 20, 1860, the South Carolina legislature was the first state to vote for secession from the Union. They asserted that one of the causes was the election to the presidency of a man "whose opinions and purposes are hostile to slavery."

On January 9, 1861, Citadel cadets fired the first shots of the Civil War when they opened fire on a Union ship entering Charleston's harbor. April 2, 1861, shore batteries under the command of General Pierre G. T. Beauregard opened fire on the Union-held Fort Sumter in the harbor. After a 34-hour bombardment, Major Robert Anderson surrendered the fort. Cadets from the Citadel, South Carolina's liberal arts military college, continued to aid the Confederate army by helping drill recruits, manufacture ammunition, protect arms depots, and guard Union prisoners. The city under siege took control of Fort Sumter, became the center for blockade running, and was the site of the first submarine warfare in 1863. In 1865, Union troops moved into the city, and took control of many sites, such as the United States Arsenal which the Confederate army had seized at the outbreak of the war.

After the eventual defeat of the Confederacy, Federal forces remained in Charleston during the city's reconstruction. The war had hindered the prosperity of the antebellum city, yet it freed all those African Americans forcibly held in bondage. While many newly freed people struggled with poverty and discrimination due to racist attitudes of white residents, African Americans faced a future free from the physical and mental abuse of their enslavers.

Industries slowly brought the city and its inhabitants back to a renewed vitality and growth in population. As the city's commerce improved, Charlestonians also worked to restore their community institutions. In 1867 Charleston's first free secondary school for blacks was established, the Avery Institute. General William T. Sherman lent his support to the conversion of the United States Arsenal into the Porter Military Academy, an educational facility for former soldiers and boys left orphaned or destitute by the war. The William Enston Home, a planned community for the city's aged and infirm, was built in 1889. An elaborate public building, the United States Post Office and Courthouse, was completed in 1896 and signaled renewed life in the heart of the city.

In 1886 Charleston was nearly destroyed by a major earthquake that was felt as far away as Boston and Bermuda. Few buildings escaped damage. Coupled with fires, hurricanes, tornados, several wars, and urban renewal in the 20th century, it is extraordinary how many of Charleston's historic buildings remain. Today the city's community buildings help to make Charleston one of the most complete historic districts in the country, with more than 1400 historically significant buildings.


History of Charleston, South Carolina - History

Richard Furman was pastor at First Baptist and was instrumental in the building of the current sanctuary designed by Robert Mills. This painting was donated by The Belser Family (Furman's descendants) on the 330th Anniversary Sunday (September 30, 2012).

The annual Easter Sunrise service at the Battery began in 1997. Over 500 people (tourists and residents) attend this meaningful service celebrating the resurrection of Christ.

Richard Furman was pastor at First Baptist and was instrumental in the building of the current sanctuary designed by Robert Mills. This painting was donated by The Belser Family (Furman's descendants) on the 330th Anniversary Sunday (September 30, 2012).

First Baptist Church, Charleston, the earliest Baptist church in the South was organized on September 25, 1682 in Kittery, Maine, under the sponsorship of the First Baptist Church of Boston. Late in 1696, the pastor William Screven, and 28 members of the Kittery congregation immigrated to Charleston, SC.

Often we are asked about marriages or burials. Unfortunately, due to several events of natural disaster, the only records we have available are included in the list above. You may wish to visit the South Carolina Historical Society at 100 Meeting Street (Fireproof Building) for more research assistance.


Assista o vídeo: Weekend w Charleston Karolina Południowa - USA Bez Ściemy